Every September 17th, World Patient Safety Day will be celebrated with the theme “Engaging patients for patient safety”, in recognition of the key role that patients, families and caregivers play in the safety of health care.
«Elevate the voice of patients!»
This is a call for all stakeholders to take the necessary steps to ensure patient involvement in policymaking, represented in governance structures, and participate in the co-design of healthcare quality and patient safety improvement strategies, and take an active role in the care they receive. This is only possible if policymakers provide platforms and opportunities to give patients, families, and communities a voice to express their concerns, expectations, and preferences to promote healthcare quality and patient safety.
To celebrate this day, we will hold a virtual seminar that will bring together patients, decision makers, health teams, and academics to discuss and share their experiences and reflections on how to increase patient and family participation in improving the quality and safety of health care.
When: Thursday, September 21, 10:00 a.m. (EDT)
This event is part of a series of virtual seminars, focused on Primary Health Care, with the participation of international experts, country experiences, and the development of the position of the Pan American Health Organization on the topics addressed.
More information about the webinar series on PHC
- Jonás Gonseth-García, Advisor, Quality in Health Services and Systems, PAHO/WHO
Message for World Patient Safety Day 2023
- Jarbas Barbosa, Director of the Pan American Health Organization
- Ernesto Báscolo, Unit Chief, Primary Health Care and Integrated Service Delivery Unit, PAHO/WHO
- Moderators: Jonás Gonseth-García, Advisor, Quality in Health Services and Systems, PAHO/WHO and Evangelina Vásquez Curiel, M Sc, Coordinator of Panamerican Network of Patients for Patient Safety
- Joseph Nates, Quality and Patient Safety Officer, Department of Critical Care, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Clara Padoveze, Departamento de Enfermagem em Saúde Coletiva Escola de Enfermagem da Universidade de São Paulo
- Randal Madrigal, Sub Director of Pan-American Patient Network for Patient Safety, from Costa Rica
- Ministry of Health Chile, host of the 6th Global Ministerial Patient Safety Summit, 2024.
Testimonials from patients and families